By Abhimanyu Krishnan (via PublishOx)
On Jan. 28, Reddit formally announced a partnership with the Ethereum Foundation, with the goal of bringing Reddit closer to being decentralized.
- The collaboration, which is Reddit’s first-ever blockchain partnership, will see the two parties work closely to create scaling solutions, following the initial groundwork of using Ethereum for Reddit’s Community Points program
- The first challenge that will be tackled is “bringing Ethereum to Reddit-scale production” i.e. the creation of an open-source scaling solution that can be used to support large-scale applications
- The effort will be led by Reddit’s crypto team, which is currently on the hunt for more backend engineers
- Reddit, a major hub of cryptocurrency discussions, has already worked with the Ethereum Foundation to trial solutions
- Two tokens, MOONS, and BRICKS are being tested on the r/cryptocurrency and r/FortniteBR subreddits, with MOONS, in particular, seeing heavy usage among Redditors, already being traded on the market
- The Reddit crypto team also has more developments lined up, which will be announced in the months to come